Tuesday, August 16, 2011

It's The Little Things






It’s hard to predict how a day will go with these Sweeties. I can plan all I want, but often they let me know we need a different plan. Here are some examples of ‘interruptions’ to our day.
Sometimes, like today, an “owee” can turn a little person’s day inside out and we just need lots of cuddle time with books or a movie. Other problems that respond well to this usually effective remedy are teething, over-tiredness, getting over an illness, weaning, or  recovering from a drastic change in schedule (like a vacation or grandparent’s visit). If it’s really bad, then rocking and singing may be necessary during the cuddling, too.
Sometimes energetic, over-exuberance bubbles over and threatens to become misbehavior… I can usually cure this with Tickle-Monster Attacks, puppets, or a dance party.
Enthusiastic learners will often want the same art, songs, stories, fingerplays, or videos (thus, we probably must know all the words to “Madame Blueberry” by now) over and over and over and over and over. I try to let them show me their interests and I expand upon them.
Misbehavior is often just a cry for attention, so then I can start a Stroller Parade, get them moving like different animals (the gorilla-walk is my current favorite), or start a game of “Find the Color.”  Counting and cheering while they jump on the trampoline, can be good for this, too,
Crankiness, irritability, or frustration can cause them to be overly rough (banging, ripping or knocking things around). This is when some classical music and a calm activity, like an interactive book on my lap, can really help. Sensory activities, like playdough or fingerpainting, are awesome at these times, too.
Taking turns, and sharing the same small spaces and toys can be frustrating. This is when I try to distract, help them use their words, trade, share, play together, or settle for something else somewhere else. Playing catch (a dozen different ways) helps them practice taking turns – good distraction, too.
All these ‘interruptions’ aren’t really derailing their important lessons, rather they ARE their lessons. No matter what we’re doing I always ask myself… “What are they learning from this?”
These small events make up the fabric of our day. The academics (letters, numbers, shapes, colors, manners, science, motor skills, etc.) are all woven in there together. When they are bigger I will expect a certain amount of conformation to more formal lessons/activities on their part. Right now the best I can do for them is conform to them and their needs as they have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment