Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why I Do It



In this blog I’ve mostly spoken about the good, fun, encouraging things that fill my days here with the kids.  After all, the bible tells us to dwell on things that are good, lovely, worthy of praise, etc. - and that’s just good, sound mental health advice, if you ask me. Also, frankly, there ARE many, many instances all through the day, every day, that are that are absolutely wonderful.
However, I do get discouraged sometimes. I will be dodging peas, wiping milk spills, trying not to step on the dropped blueberries and asking the kids the same things I always request of them ("Use your big-kid words. Food stays on the table please. We take SMALL bites and chew, chew, chew!") while the same kids’ songs play over and over. Or I will clean up the same messes over and over until I could just scream from back-ache and weariness. Don’t even get me started on the many dirty diapers and other bodily messes that are almost constant. There are many tedious, difficult, and down-right GROSS things that I do on a daily basis. My goal (and prayer) is to do them cheerfully and with love. Mother Theresa (a personal hero of mine) said, “There are no big things, only small things done with great love.”
Here alone with kids all day, I sometimes wonder if anyone knows, or cares, about the thought, effort, and energy that I pour into these children (I don’t wonder that a lot, since I DO, thankfully, have parents who are very caring and appreciative, and who show it on a regular basis). There are, though, so many little things (and big ones) that I do that hardly one knows about – singing tons of songs to comfort, amuse, entertain, teach, and encourage good choices, cutting bread and other food into interesting shapes to discuss while we eat, making up games, coming up with sensory and creative opportunities for them, using every possible opportunity to teach the kids counting, letters, manners, colors, shapes, and kindness to others, and mostly taking the time to talk, laugh, dance, tickle, cuddle and joke with them.
What a gift it is to have the time to look into their eyes and really listen and respond to their discoveries and concerns. The fact that I get to experience the miracle of their growing and changing is what makes it fascinating and, over all, never boring. Sure, sometimes the walls can feel like they’re closing in on me. But it’s only temporary. The opportunities here with these babies are limited time offers and I understand how fleeting and important that is. So I sigh, smile, and press on.
Here it all is in a nutshell - I know what I do all day… from the wonderfully rewarding things  to the dreary grunt-work…. God knows about it, too. ….Most of all, the kids know and will be better off for it. They are so absolutely worth it all and more. 

1 comment:

  1. There are very few people who could do it as well as you do.

    ReplyDelete