Monday, March 21, 2011

What an absolutely WONDERFUL day – Uh oh! Spoke too soon!!


This morning was a great morning in my home daycare. I had only the three older babies who play together beautifully, are used to my rules, respond well to whatever I say, and crack me up every time I turn around, with their energetic, sweet antics.

We had the usual sippy-cup shuffle. My own girl knows which color cup goes with each child, even if she can’t always name the correct color, and she helped me keep them properly distributed. We went outside and we discussed important things like taking turns, not snatching from friends, being gentle with friends, and only hitting balls with the golf clubs. Lots of active fun was had on the swing, the climber, the slides, in the sandbox and with the cars.

Then the three eagerly came inside for a wonderful snack-time at the table. We had goldfish, fruit, a little raisin toast, and some whole milk. We listened to music, practiced our manners and kind words, while I made lunch. Happy, funny music with friendly words (“I like you. We’re so glad to see you. Etc…”) played and we listened and danced while they ate and I cooked. A few reminders to ask nicely with words or sign-language were met with smiles and compliance. Cooperative little helpers followed my directions to help pick up food and sippy cups from the floor when we were all done.

Did I mention this was a GREAT morning? Well, it just continued to get better and better.  Three little listeners sat rapt with interest while I read, “The Grouchy Lady Bug” and acted it out with a stuffed animal. They had free play inside then and we had some good lessons on putting away toys before we get out new ones. They can’t do it very well yet, but I think it’s sinking in. Then we sat and played a color-sorting game with the blocks and that, too, went very well.

Amid all this busy-ness we had the usual morning routines… diaper changes, my cleaning up, songs we always sing, etc. After a lovely lunch (of salmon burgers, mixed veggies, whole wheat bread with Smart Balance, and strawberries -which I had all prepared and ready and waiting) and lots of help cleaning up, I was feeling pleased and proud of myself for how great the day had been going. They toddled off into the playroom and I gave them each one last diaper change, closed the curtains and blinds, turned on the fan and the quiet music and ...THEN I WENT AND RUINED IT ALL BY CHANGING THE ROUTINE. I attempted to put them to sleep on nap-mats instead of in their usual pack-n-plays and crib.

Cue ironic horn-music, “Whank, whank, whaaaaa!” That’s where the loveliness of the day ended with a jolt!

I attempted to lie next to, and nurse my own baby to sleep on her mat, while pretending to sleep and watch the other two. One decided it was the end of the world and wailed pitifully and loudly. They stayed on their mat and cuddled Winnie-the-Pooh, all the time adjusting the covers and getting comfy, so I had high hopes, even though the wailing continued. The other baby who wasn’t nursing, started out well, by quietly singing to themself . Then that escalated into talking loudly and laughing at private jokes (very private, as they were told by themself to themself in their incomprehensible baby language!).  This one, too, stayed on their mat, but didn’t seem to be settling down any better than the one doing all the wailing.  I got up and turned up the soft music to try to drown out some of the baby noise, which caused mine to join in the wailing. Then the baby who’d been laughing began to make wailing noises, as if to mock the other two. I got a little bit hopeful again when they all started to quiet down and settle themselves at one point. Then the music station on the t.v. played a rousing rendition of “The Entertainer” and THAT got them squirming!  “Easy Instrumentals”… my FOOT!

Ay ay ay ay ay! So by this time my baby was done nursing. I positioned myself and the nap-mats so I could comfort them all and pat backs as they drifted off to sleep. I think I could have succeeded at this with the two who aren’t mine, but my own child was having NONE of it! I could not keep her on her mat, which of course was disrupting for the other two to see the struggle I had with her!

So that was it. I surrendered. My own baby got placed into her wonderfully restful crib with her buddy, “Dog-Dog,” and all her familiar nap-time noises. I got the pack-n-plays back out for the other two, cozied them up and then they were happy as clams and went right to sleep.

I had a lot of good reasons for trying to transition them to nap mats, but they told me in no uncertain terms that they are NOT YET READY! After today, I am in NO HURRY to try this again, so they’ll have plenty of time to mature and develop their readiness before they are asked to try the nap-mats again!

 Now, however, I am having a wonderful time during my lunch break writing this. I will be refreshed and ready to go again when they are! Bring it on! It will be a WONDERFUL day!

2 comments:

  1. I would give it some time and get BB napping in a pnp in the room with the other babies in the meantime. That way she won't be so overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I used to put twelve 15-30 month olds down for a nap, by myself, on nap-mats, while nursing Richard to sleep at Mothers' Day Out twice a week!
    I think it blew RR's mind to have us all in there. She kept checking to see if I saw her being upset. Good idea about bb and the pnp. I think I may wait a bit and put all the pnps in the same room, as a transition.

    ReplyDelete